Apr 9, 2009

Change the Way You Perceive Reality

It was my birthday yesterday. For the past several years, I was always busy on my birthdays and never even thought of taking time to reflect on anything. But this time, I sort of had a profound emotion about getting older.

I mean, I'm in this "in-between" place, contemplating to change my career direction which could possibly take a year or two, and it's not like I'm fresh out of college. I'm not that young, and shoot, I just became one year older!

But then I thought about the concept of the 100 Year Lifestyle. The chances are that I'm going to live to be 100 year old. If that's the case, well, I guess it makes perfect sense to spend next year or two in an attempt to ensure the remaining decades to be happier years. In fact, going back to the same kind of life, though it's probably easier to attain, would be a waste of my time, wouldn't it? I'd have a decent steady salary for maybe several years - until I go down by exhaustion or be laid off again, whichever comes first - with not much else to gain.

And I was thinking "If I shared this thought to my previous co-workers, most of them probably wouldn't understand," when I realized something.

When I was working, I was often told "Perception is reality." (Yes, I was in marketing.) While I didn't particularly embrace the notion that what you do isn't as important as how that's perceived, I do agree that perception is reality in a way everyone has own reality that's edited by his or her perception. And what I realized was that I just edited my own perception, taking my reality very far from that of my old co-workers.

I'm not sure if I'm making a clear sense with this post, but what I'm getting at is this: We edit our own perception to create own reality - which means that we are in fact in control of our own reality. When we feel discouraged or need motivation, maybe changing how we edit our own perception is the key to overcome those.

So that was my birthday "a-ha" moment. Getting older isn't too bad after all.

2 comments:

  1. just wanted to wish you a happy belated birthday sawa-san!
    hope you had a great weekend :)

    (I forgot how I named myself last time, but you know who I am ;)

    ReplyDelete