Mar 11, 2009

Focusing on What's in Front of You

This is something that I had always felt, a life principle that first came to my mind when I asked myself what I would say if I had to write "This I Believe". It's to focus on what's in front of you and give 100%. Because, well, what else would I do? Do nothing until something worth giving 100% of me to come along in some unknown future?

They say that you have to have goals and objectives; without them you aren't going anywhere. I don't believe that. Well, not always. Yes, if you know exactly where you want to go, you should definitely have specific goals and objectives so that you can systematically work your way towards that place you want to be. But it works only when you know exactly where you want to go. What if you don't know where you want to go? You are just stuck where you are now and not going anywhere until you make up your mind?

I think it's possible, and from my personal experience more interesting path, to go somewhere without knowing exactly where you are heading. It automatically happens when you just focus on what's in front of you, giving 100% of you to it. Life is really a full of surprises (who knew WSJ would find this blog??) and the odds of good surprises get really higher when you are mindful focusing what's in front of you. And when you embrace those surprise elements and keep going, you eventually find yourself standing somewhere; somewhere you'd never expected to be or didn't even know existed in the first place, but nonetheless interesting.

I don't know how many people are fortunate enough to know what they really want to be doing or where they really want to go. I know there are some, but I have a feeling that people who intuitively know what they are supposed to do with their lives are rare. Despite of that, I think we tend to believe that defining a goal has to always come first; we are taught that's the proper way to be successful. But forcing to conjure up "goals" when you couldn't have from your bottom of heart, isn't going to work out at the end of the day. Besides, why would you want to limit your possibilities that way?

So while I'm in this in-between place, I'm just going to focus on what comes in front of me.

2 comments:

  1. I like your attitude about refocusing and rediscovering what's new out there. I got laid off at the beginning of February and I'm doing the same as you. My blog, http:/opentosuggestions.wordpress.com exists mostly for sanity's sake, along with the hope to be an inspiration to others, and to share in this new predicament with others who have found themselves here as well.

    I once read that every one of us will go through 7 distinct professions in our life. Okay, well, we're just on the road to discovering something new. That's exciting!

    Let's keep in touch with what we find along the way. I'm going to add your blog to my page so I can pop back often.

    Take care, good luck, and enjoy life. ~ Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les - Thank you for dropping by. I like your attitude, too! I have to say that being able to get a comment from someone with a positive attitude is a major benefit for being positive to begin with. Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete